Note: The playing rules are based on those outlined by the Canadian Adult Recreational Hockey Association which also is the Insurer for the League.
1. Fair play and sportsmanship should prevail at all times.
2. The P.R.O.H.L. will consist of 14 teams with a maximum of 16 players per team in Junior, Intermediate and Senior Divisions.
3. All players must be 35 years of age or older as of December 31 of their commencing year.
4. Each game will consist of one 48 minute period straight time with the final 3 minutes stop time if the goal differential is within 3. No overtime will be played.
6. Referees for all games will be assigned by the Referee-In-Chief, who is appointed by the Executive.
7. Any player assessed a fighting penalty will be automatically suspended from play in the League for five (5) games, not including the rest of the game in which it is assessed. Any player assessed a second fighting penalty, not necessarily in the same season as the first, will be automatically suspended from play in the League for at least the remainder of the current season and may be expelled from the League at the discretion of the Executive.
8. Any player, manager, coach, etc. striking or molesting a referee or League official will be automatically suspended from participating in the League for at least one year.
9. Any player receiving a ‘Deliberate Attempt To Injure’ penalty, a ‘Match Penalty’, or any ‘Major Penalty’ is suspended immediately for a minimum of two (2) games, not including the rest of the game in which it is assessed, and may be suspended from the League at the discretion of the Executive. Any player receiving a second infraction in the same season will be automatically suspended from participating in the League for at least one year.
10. Any player receiving three (3) penalties in a single game will be automatically suspended from play for the remainder of that game.
11. Any player who receives a Misconduct, Gross Misconduct, or a Game Misconduct penalty in the last period of a game will automatically receive a one (1) game suspension. For a second infraction in the same season (in any period), the player will receive a two (2) game suspension. For a third infraction in the same season the player will be suspended for at least the remainder of that season.
12. Any player accumulating any combination of three (3) of the following penalties during a season will automatically receive a one (1) game suspension.
Body Checking, Roughing, Elbowing, Slashing, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, High Sticking An Opponent (not the puck), Cross Checking, Charging, Boarding, Checking From Behind, Kneeing, Spearing, Butt Ending, Misconduct (any type), Match Penalty.
Any player accumulating any combination of five (5) of these penalties will automatically be suspended from the League for at least the remainder of that season.
13. Any player who is assessed numerous penalties of any sort and whose conduct is unacceptable to the League Officials will be warned by the Executive and may be expelled from the League at the discretion of the Executive.
14. At the discretion of the Referee(s), any player who is under the influence of alcohol or other mind altering substance may be suspended from any game.
15. A minor or major penalty shall be assessed any player who uses body contact intentionally, pushes, shoves or stands in front of and does not avert body contact with an opponent. The Referee shall assess the penalty based on the violence of the impact with the opposing player.
16. Any player who uses a ‘Slap Shot’ during the game will be assessed a minor penalty. If injury to an opponent results, a major penalty shall be assessed. The ‘Snap Shot’, however, is legal and is defined as bringing the stick back behind the puck a maximum distance of 15 inches and shooting the puck in a wrist shot fashion.
17. C.S.A. approved helmets with C.S.A. approved eye protection secured, unaltered in any way and properly worn, are mandatory for all players. Goaltender masks or helmets with full facial protection must be approved by League officials. Referees are instructed not to allow on the ice any player failing to comply with this rule. Players should be aware that this rule is included for player safety and liability reasons and that the Executive may suspend any player who, after being warned, fails to comply with this rule.
18.Timing of penalties:
Minor non-aggressive – 2 minutes
Minor aggressive – 3 minutes
Major – 7 minutes
Misconduct – 12 minutes
Note: ‘Minor non-aggressive’ penalties are of the “excuse me” type such as high sticking the puck, tripping, holding, interference, and delay of game.
‘Minor aggressive’ penalties include the more violent penalties such as cross checking, high sticking a player, body contact, roughing, elbowing, charging, boarding, kneeing which, in the opinion of the referee(s), do not warrant a major penalty.
19. New rules may be instituted by the Executive as the season progresses. Players and referees will be informed of any changes by the Executive through team Reps and the Referee-In-Chief.
20. The Executive will appoint the Scorekeepers/Timekeepers.
21. Players to be accepted into the League will be selected in the following order:
First Choice – Players registered in the current season who have submitted the registration form and paid their dues by the date stipulated on the form.
Second Choice – Players who have played in the League before, dropped out for a valid reason, but left their name on the waiting list. In particular, a player who was forced to drop out for medical reasons has priority over the player who replaced him.
Third Choice – Prospective players on the waiting list if their cheque and registration form have been submitted by the date stipulated by the Executive. Priority will be given to prospective players who have been recommended (sponsored) by a current League member in good standing.
22. In the event a team is short players for a game, the following procedure should be followed:
A – Check with the opposing team for extra players.
B – Check with teams coming off immediately before your game. No selections; any player may play.
C – Go with the players you have or get other players from our League (goaltenders exempted).